Waffles

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Waffles

This is the faction waffles forum we rock tits

4 posters

Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide

Nayethe
    Nayethe

Male
    Number of posts : 271
    Registration date : 2008-11-26

Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide Empty Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide

Post by Nayethe Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:18 pm

This is my take on the Attack Cleric build. I hope it is useful for anyone in the guild as well who may be interested in trying out/learning about this very unique build.

From the outset, I will admit that I have based my build almost completely on Cayeon's build, which can be found here. So, if you want all the details, follow that link.

Anyway, the basic idea with an Attack Cleric is to do as much damage as possible in as short a timeframe as you can. This build deviates a lot from the Cleric's usual role, so we need to think about our build a lot more. So we'll look at stats, equipment, and skills in order to decide how to maximize damage.

STATS:

Summary:
    You will be doing a Pure MAG Build.

Details and Explanation:
    You will be pumping as many skill points into MAG as possible, adding just enough STR so you can wear your latest magic robes and wield your latest magic weapon. A pure MAG build is best since you will be only attacking with spells, and pumping MAG points increases their damage. This will leave you very low on HP, as your VIT will probably stay at 5 (or very low). But remember: the idea is to kill the enemy before he gets to you. If you want more HP, do not pump VIT. Buy gear with HP bonus stats, which is very common and relatively cheap. Recall that 1 VIT = 10 HP, and you can easily get gear with +140 HP, which is close to as good as +14 VIT. As for DEX, leave it at 5. You will not be putting enough points in this stat to increase your evasion rate enough that enemies will actually miss you, so you're better off putting those precious points into MAG to increase your damage.

EQUIPMENT:

Summary:
    You are going to be wearing magic robes if you're a serious Attack Cleric. Period.

Details and Explanation:
    Why magic robes only? This is mostly due to the stat requirements of the other armors. Anything but robes require DEX in order to equip, which takes points away from your precious MAG. This will cut down on your damage severely, especially in the later levels. The DEX required to wear light armor does give a higher critical rate, but it takes 20 points of DEX to give a 1% increase in critical rate. You'll never be able to add enough DEX to rely on critical hits, so pump MAG and increase the damage of EVERY spell. You won't have to rely on luck at all. Heavy armor is out of the question if you're serious about being an Attack Cleric. It won't do an offensive spellcaster any good, due to the massive amount of STR required (restricting MAG) to wear it.

Stay up to date with your latest magic weapon unless you have one with good bonus stats. For example, you'll be keeping your FB19 wand for a long time. Also, wear rings that give the highest magic attack bonus.

Wear other accessories that give you higher physical defense. This will make up for your robes' lack of physical defense somewhat, and allow you to take a few hits from physical mobs without dying.

SKILLS:

Summary:
    Remember, we're going for extreme amounts of damage. So what we're going to do is ignore support skills almost entirely in favor of your attack spells. Start with Plume Shot and Great Cyclone, and try to keep them maxed for your level. The next attack spell of priority is Wield Thunder. All others before that you can set aside until you have SP to spare. These three will be your primary attacks, and they are all you need.

Buffs are second priority, followed by debuffs. Buy these when you have SP and coin to spare from attack spells. An exception is Spirit's Gift. I cannot stress enough how important it is to keep this skill maxed for your level!

Finally, get Ironheart Blessing. You will make a very powerful healer as a pure MAG build, and Ironheart Blessing will make you a valuable member of many a FB or boss party.

Details and Explanation:

Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide Blessi10 Blessing of the Purehearted: A heal. Skip.

Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide Ironhe10 Ironheart Blessing: This is an essential skill, your main (and only) heal. It is heal over time, and the healed HP stacks! Use it to heal yourself when fighting tough mobs. Heal tanks for bosses. Heal anyone when needed.

Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide Wellsp10 Wellspring Surge: A heal. Skip.

Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide Revive10 Revive: This one's up to you. You will save coin and SP by not leveling it, but keep in mind that some people will be mad at you for having a low-level Revive. NEVER give in to that pressure in the low levels! Eventually level it though, if only for guildmates.

Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide Purify10 Purify: You must get this spell as soon as you can. It will purge poison, mana drain, you name it, from you or the tank or another party member. Level it if you want, but it's a low priority skill after you get it.

Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide Soon_t10 Soon, the Light: The squad heal. Skip.

Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide Stream10 Stream of Rejuvenation: A heal. Skip.

Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide Regene10 Regeneration Aura: A heal. Skip.

Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide Vanguard_Spirit Vanguard Spirit: This buff (single target only) is absolutely mandatory to level. You're wearing arcane robes, which have very very little physical defense. At level 10, this buff will multiply your equipment's physical defense by 1.6. That's an extra 60%. Useful at all levels, and very cheap to level. GET. IT.

Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide Greater_Protective_Aura Greater Protective Aura: Useful for Support Clerics, near useless for you. It gives the exact same bonus as level 10 Vanguard Spirit, but buffs the entire squad and lasts longer (1 hour as opposed to 30 min). It would be useful, but remember that you're saving money and SP for attack spells and other essential skills. This is not an essential skill.

Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide Magic_Shell Magic Shell: This is the magic defense version of Vanguard Spirit. It will only make your already-stellar magic defense even better. You should max it eventually, though.

Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide Aegis_Spirit Aegis Spirit: This is the squad buff for magic defense. Like Greater Protective Aura, get it when essential skills are maxed.

Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide Celestial_Guardians_Seal Celestial Guardian's Seal: A useful single regeneration buff. At level X, it regenerates X extra HP andX extra MP per second. This is a useful skill but not essential. Level it every once in a while.

Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide Exalted_Renewal Exalted Renewal: This is the squad buff for regeneration. Like other squad buffs, get it when essential skills are maxed.

Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide Spirits_Gift Spirit's Gift: This is an essential skill. Always keep it maxed for your level. Always. It dramatically increases your magic attack bonus. At level 10, it will multiply magic attack by 1.7. This skill is one of the main reasons you will be such an awesome damage-dealer.

Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide Arcane_Empowerment Arcane Empowerment: This is the squad buff for magic attack. Like the other squad buffs, get it when essential skills are maxed. Lower priority than other squad buffs.

Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide Plume_Shot Plume Shot: This is an essential skill. It does physical damage, which is very awesome. You can use it against Increased Magic Resistance enemies (the kind that give Wizards so much trouble) or in PvP versus other spellcasters. It will be one of your main attacks at all levels. Max ASAP.

Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide Plume_Shell Plume Shell: This is a short-duration, chi-requiring shield spell. Basically, you lose MP (rather than HP) when hit. This skill will make you near invincible for 20 sec. Use this to your full advantage! This is a semi-essential skill. Level it when you feel like you need it, or when you have SP left to spare.

Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide Razor_Feathers Razor Feathers: Do not level this spell. Don't even get it early on. Your other spells will be much more effective.

Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide Elemental_Seal Elemental Seal: Lowers the elemental defense of your enemy by a significant amount, meaning you cast less spells to kill enemies. It is a semi-essential skill, as buffs are more useful for grinding.

Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide Dimensional_Seal Dimensional Seal: Physical defense-lowering debuff. Not as versatile as Elemental Seal, but I do suggest maxing it eventually (2nd debuff to max).

Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide Silence_Seal Silence Seal: For PvP only. Level it later on. Get it so you can get...

Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide Chromatic_Seal Chromatic Seal: A good spell for PvP and PvE. Sleeps enemies for you. Get it when you can. Max it later on.

Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide Great_Cylcone Great Cyclone: Your best spell ever. Fast to cast with good MP cost, great damage especially with Metal Mastery. Absolutely essential.

Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide Thunderball Thunderball: Your damage over time spell. Eventually it will replace Plume Shot in your grinding combo, but you won't have the SP to level it until later on. Wait to 70+.

Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide Sirens_Kiss Siren's Kiss: A bit more useful than Razor Feathers, but same suggestion: skip.

Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide Wield_Thunder Wield Thunder: Your most powerful single-target attack. Keep it maxed for your level, as it becomes even better with Metal Mastery maxed. ESSENTIAL.

Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide Tempest Tempest: Another AoE skill, and one of your most powerful attacks. Unfortunately, you'll be so short on SP and coin you won't be able to level it. Wait for it, though. It'll be worth it. Essential once you start maxing other skills.

Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide Metal_Mastery Metal Mastery: At level 10, it will increase your Metal damage by 20%. Very expensive, but very much worth its cost. Level it once you have Spirit's Gift maxed.

PROS:
    So much damage, it's incredible. With a combination of good debuffs and the proper attack spell, nothing will be able to touch you. This means grinding will be far less of a chore for you than it would be for a Support Cleric. Played right, you can also be an excellent PvPer. I haven't gotten into that yet, but supposedly you can 1-2 shot any character class if you're smart.

CONS:
    You have to be patient to play an Attack Cleric. Your health is very low, so you might die more often than normal early on. Once you get a high MAG score and good attack spells, you will almost never die, but the early levels take patience. Also, the MP burn rate is insanely high for an Attack Cleric. If you're rich, buy Hieros. They are very much worth the money you spend. If you are poor (or rich), level your apothecary skill, as crafted potions are much more effective than bought ones (and they're free). Also, some people will think you are useless for not being a healer/reviver. Don't listen to them. Join a good guild (like Waffles) that accepts your build, and don't let other people's opinions get you down. If you like your build, that is all that matters. Oh, and you can never be a tank.

Well, this is the end of my guide! Hope it helps!

Last edited by Nayethe on Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:39 pm; edited 14 times in total
    Aavery
    Aavery
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 355
    Registration date : 2008-11-24

Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide Empty Re: Nayethe's Attack Cleric Guide

Post by Aavery Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:56 am

Woot great build guide nay, kinda makes me want to make another cleric just to try it out. I like the whole attack cleric idea since I think they can be great damage dealers since they have a magical attack (cyclone) and a physical attack (plume) but they can still be the back up healer as long as they have iron heart leveled.
    Nayethe
    Nayethe

Male

Post by Nayethe Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:43 pm

Shameless bump for edits. Razz
    Aavery
    Aavery
    Admin

Female

Post by Aavery Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:36 pm

How did you get thumbnails of the skills? And very nice update Very Happy
    Nayethe
    Nayethe

Male

Post by Nayethe Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:45 pm

See that link to Cayeon's guide? That's where I got the thumbnails. I can give you the links to those images if you want. I've got them all stored right now on an image hosting site.
    Aavery
    Aavery
    Admin

Female

Post by Aavery Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:43 pm

Ah ok I was trying to photo shop them off the bigger picture I had but the kept coming out to small. I think I will just stick with the pic i have though im to lazy to change it Razz
    fintan
    fintan

Male
    Number of posts : 27
    Registration date : 2009-01-03

Post by fintan Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:43 am

Neat guide. Perhaps at some point, I'll have to write a guide to my (admittedly unconventional) build. I hadn't realized just how much we deviate from each other (and I know how much we differ from Aavery! Very Happy ) 'til I read this.

You had the benefit of an existing guide. I only had prior experience of "I wish I had done X, Y, and Z differently. And I'm WAY too poor to buy Cubi!" to work from. Razz (I still don't see any guides advocating that you WANT to crit your magic attacks, for example...) You may wish to point out the fact that a MP charm will potentially save you valuable grind time that is instead spent gathering.

Also, have you Zhenned with this build yet? I'm curious how it works for that. I can definitely see where some people would be hesitant to bring an attack cleric. (Just like you rarely hear of venos being invited along.) Especially since you appear to possess no AOE anything...
    Nayethe
    Nayethe

Male

Post by Nayethe Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:53 am

I have not Zhenned yet, but I may try it later, once I buy a gold MP charm. From what I've read about Zhenning, I could replace one of the DDs in the party, though we would need a support Cleric to do the healing. I'd have to have an understanding and mature party, I think, for them to invite me along. I'm a great DD, but a majority of people out there seem to think that Clerics are only for healing, and so they might be hesitant to bring me along. They'd change their minds when they saw me in action, though, I think.
    Aavery
    Aavery
    Admin

Female

Post by Aavery Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:17 am

fintan wrote:Neat guide. Perhaps at some point, I'll have to write a guide to my (admittedly unconventional) build. I hadn't realized just how much we deviate from each other (and I know how much we differ from Aavery! Very Happy ) 'til I read this.

You had the benefit of an existing guide. I only had prior experience of "I wish I had done X, Y, and Z differently. And I'm WAY too poor to buy Cubi!" to work from. Razz (I still don't see any guides advocating that you WANT to crit your magic attacks, for example...) You may wish to point out the fact that a MP charm will potentially save you valuable grind time that is instead spent gathering.

Also, have you Zhenned with this build yet? I'm curious how it works for that. I can definitely see where some people would be hesitant to bring an attack cleric. (Just like you rarely hear of venos being invited along.) Especially since you appear to possess no AOE anything...
    Clerics do have an AoE skill its called razor feathers I believe, and I would like to see you make a guide fin since mine and Nays guide are to polar opposites. I feel my build is probably the most common taken to the extreme (I have 2 attack skills that are like 2 levels lower then they should be) and nay's build rare. I always kinda wondered what your build was about Fin. The closes thing I would say would be a "hybrid".
    fintan
    fintan

Male

Post by fintan Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:25 am

Aavery wrote:Clerics do have an AoE skill its called razor feathers I believe, and I would like to see you make a guide fin since mine and Nays guide are to polar opposites. I feel my build is probably the most common taken to the extreme (I have 2 attack skills that are like 2 levels lower then they should be) and nay's build rare. I always kinda wondered what your build was about Fin. The closes thing I would say would be a "hybrid".

I realize we get AOEs. I don't have Razor Feathers, myself. But I love knocking out the town critters with Siren's Kiss. I was noting that Nay doesn't seem to have any of the AOE skills. Not even Tempest. Wink

As for my build, you'll be able to glean some insight in an unrelated upcoming post. I'm certainly not a "hybrid", as even those are "high-magic" builds. I'm probably one of the few clerics on LC who usually has just enough magic for his wep. Wink
    Nayethe
    Nayethe

Male

Post by Nayethe Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:03 am

Yeah, Razor Feathers, Siren's Kiss, and Tempest are a Cleric's AoE skills. Thing is, I don't need AoE on a regular day of grinding. All I really need is Plume Shot, Great Cyclone, and Wield Thunder (though Thunderball is now level 5, and I'm gonna max it as soon as I can). So I focus on those skills because I really need them. For me, 3 or 4 good skills are usually better than 10 mediocre ones.

Plus, and this is my main point against AoE: I don't want to attract the aggro of 5 different mobs! That is a death sentence for Nay, as it would be for most any Cleric. Now, if I had a tank to keep aggro all the time, things would be different, and AoE would suddenly become a lot more attractive.

Plus, Cayeon's guide suggested waiting on Tempest unless you're a PvPer, and since I'm not a PvPer, I was going to follow that advice. And did you know Tempest level 1 costs ~80k spirit and ~120k coin?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing about your build, Fin. I've always kinda wondered what exactly it was since you don't fall into the usual Cleric build categories.
    fintan
    fintan

Male

Post by fintan Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:23 am

Nayethe wrote:Yeah, Razor Feathers, Siren's Kiss, and Tempest are a Cleric's AoE skills. Thing is, I don't need AoE on a regular day of grinding. All I really need is Plume Shot, Great Cyclone, and Wield Thunder (though Thunderball is now level 5, and I'm gonna max it as soon as I can). So I focus on those skills because I really need them. For me, 3 or 4 good skills are usually better than 10 mediocre ones.

Plus, and this is my main point against AoE: I don't want to attract the aggro of 5 different mobs! That is a death sentence for Nay, as it would be for most any Cleric. Now, if I had a tank to keep aggro all the time, things would be different, and AoE would suddenly become a lot more attractive.

Plus, Cayeon's guide suggested waiting on Tempest unless you're a PvPer, and since I'm not a PvPer, I was going to follow that advice. And did you know Tempest level 1 costs ~80k spirit and ~120k coin?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing about your build, Fin. I've always kinda wondered what exactly it was since you don't fall into the usual Cleric build categories.

Yeah, my macro is Wield -> Cyclone -> Plume -> Beat on mob (that way if I lag, at least my char's doing SOMETHING! Very Happy )... I often interrupt it to insert things like Spark Eruption and Thunderball, though. Depends on the mob. But usually I'm just lazy and mash the 1 key a couple of times and the thing falls over, dead. Easy 'nuff. Wink

I've actually started using Siren's Kiss to pull a couple of mobs at once. I've gotten ballsy with my HP and MP charms, and I've learnt that it's a fun skill. I'm still learning mob control a bit (right now, it's Plume Shell -> Spark Eruption -> Siren's Kiss -> Thunderball one -> macro the other to death -> macro the Thunderballed one into oblivion...), but it's pretty neat when it freezes the mobs! I'm debating leveling it to level 5 soon, in fact...

Siren's Kiss, Level 5 wrote:Conjure a sweeping breeze inflicting Metal damage equal to your base magic attack plus 2048.8 to all enemies within a 12 meter radius. Has a chance to freeze for 3 seconds.

And the Sage/Demon versions of Tempest cost, get this... Spirit: 2 000 000 and Coin: 2 000 000... Sad Though, honestly, I'm thinking I'll blow that 87k spirit when I hit level 59ish...

Tempest, Level 1 wrote:Focus all of your energy to cast down countless thunder bolts at the target and enemies within a 8.4 meter radius around it, inflicting Metal damage equal to your base magic damage plus 220% of weapon damage plus 5343.8. Has a 86% chance to cause a 6.2 second reduction in speed of 60%.

That's some neat damage for an AOE... Blows the level 7 Siren's Kiss out of the water, especially if I instead invest in Chromatic Seal instead of leveling Kiss... Perhaps something to think about today. Very Happy

As for my build, I won't be going into it, specifically, but I suspect that you and Aav at the least are going to have some questions about a pair of screenshots to be posted in a bit... Wink
    Nayethe
    Nayethe

Male

Post by Nayethe Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:43 pm

Yet another shameless bump for updates. I think it's finished! Surprised
    Aavery
    Aavery
    Admin

Female

Post by Aavery Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:08 pm

Nice fay Very Happy I really need to work on mine.
    AlpineFrost
    AlpineFrost

Male
    Number of posts : 323
    Registration date : 2008-11-25

Post by AlpineFrost Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:15 am

Naye naye naye. If their is one thing i know about making build guides, its that they are never done Razz well at least till you hit max lvl! Continue to pour your vast knowledge into this excellent guide XD

Great work!
    Aavery
    Aavery
    Admin

Female

Post by Aavery Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:54 pm

yay nay!
    Nayethe
    Nayethe

Male

Post by Nayethe Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:26 pm

So I figured I'd add to my guide a very important section: MP management. This is important not only for Attack Clerics, but for ANY Cleric (especially pure MAG ones).

Especially with the server down right now, I can't do what I really want to do, which is play! Grr.

Anyway, MP mamagement.

You're going to burn through MP like crazy as an Attack Cleric. This is mostly because you can ONLY attack with spells because of your lack of STR and DEX. You've got a couple of options keeping that all-important blue bar full:

(1) Use MP potions.
    These are individually pretty cheap, but get very expensive over time. Another downside (besides cost) is that they'll never be good enough for you! You'll burn MP incredibly fast, and you'll have a very large amount of max MP. One MP pot might fill a Barb's bar, but not yours! 1/5 stars

(2) Buy MP charms.
    Again, these are very expensive. 400k for a gold charm is a reasonable price now that charm packs are gone. They pay for themselves for sure (if you grind using them), but you're still taking a huge chunk out of your grinding profit. I love charms, but they're not cost-effective. 3/5 stars

(3) Make apothecary powders.
    These are, wait for it!!! FREE! But you have to farm the herbs to make them. Thankfully, an hour or two every couple of days is all you should need if you do a dedicated herb run. Focus Powder and Chaos Powders are what you really want. 4/5 stars

(4) Meditate.
    Boring, but free. No time gathering herbs, no coin spent. Time is your only factor here. Honestly, it's better spent gathering herbs. 3/5 stars

(5) Have nice guildies buy you charms Razz .
    Self-explanatory. 5/5 stars

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 pm